Protect Yourself with Insurance
How much life insurance should I have?
There is no precise answer. More insurance gives protection but it also depends on your budget and other considerations. Firstly, think about what assets you will have if you or your spouse died or became disabled. What money do you have in superannuation, shares, savings and existing insurance policies?
Then think about your ongoing needs. The difference between what you will have and what you would need is the amount of cover you should get. You may decide to review your cover based on changes to your life-stage. For example, if you have children and a large mortgage you may decide you need more cover. Alternatively, if you’ve paid off your mortgage, you may decide to decrease your cover.
Insurance Through Super
Most super funds offer minimum life insurance coverage as part of their policies, but the reality is that the coverage is rarely enough to support your family if you pass away. While you can take out an additional life insurance policy and have a monthly premium deducted from your bank account, there are a number of benefits in choosing to increase your life insurance through your super account.
- There is a broad choice of Superannuation funds
- It’s poorly understood (understated in super statements)
- It’s complex
So Why Have Insurance
- To provide money in the event that: You die too soon, or become disabled (permanent or temporary)
There are 3 types of Insurance Cover
- Death Cover Provides a lump sum in case of: Death, Terminal Illness
- TPD Cover Provides a lump sum in case of: Total & permanent disablement
- Income Protection Instalment cover for: Illness or injury where you expect to get better. And may be used to: Repay debt, Meet expenses, Estate equalisation or Replace forgone income.
Where to buy Insurance
- via Internal insurer of your Super fund* (group insurance)
- Convenient, Maybe tax effective, Basic cover only, Flat rate premium, No choice of insurer
- via External insurer, Giving you broader choice.
- Is tax effective, Basic cover or, Full cover extension*, Volume discounts, Package options, Choice of insurer
Watch this video to find out the benefits of taking out insurance through super, including cost savings, tax advantages and peace of mind.